Veterans Affairs


The Veterans Affairs Office is maintained in Room 101 of the Wimberly Building to aid veterans in obtaining their educational benefits.


Veterans are encouraged to complete admissions and testing requirements 90 to 120 days prior to the period for which they wish to enroll.


For questions concerning your veteran benefits, contact 409-880-7198 or 409-880-8968 or email

Benefit Programs


Ch 30:  Montgomery GI Bill

For individuals who entered the military on or after July 1, 1985, had their basic military pay reduced by $100.00 per month for the first 12 months and have an honorable discharge. 


Ch 31:  Vocational Rehabilitation

Provides training and rehabilitation for veterans with a service-connected disability with a rating of at least 20%.


Ch 32:  VEAP

This post-Vietnam Era Education Assistance Program is for veterans who began active duty on or after Jan. 1, 1977 and before July 1, 1985 and contributed money to VEAP while on active duty. 


Ch 34/30:  Old GI Bill/Montgomery GI Bill

For veterans who were eligible to receive CH 34 benefits on Dec. 31, 1989 and who had remaining Ch 34 entitlement on that date. 


Ch 35:  Survivors/Dependents Education Assistance

For dependents of a veteran who is 100% disabled or who has died from a service related injury or illness.  A dependent may be a child under 26 or a surviving spouse. 


Ch 1606:  Montgomery GI Bill for Selective Reserves

For Persons who have enlisted, reenlisted or extended an enlistment in the Selective Reserve on or after July 1, 1985 and served for a period of not less than 6 years following the date of such action.


Ch 1607:  Reserve Educational Assistance Program

For the Reservist called to active duty to support contingency or other specific operations.


Hazlewood Act                       


Hazlewood Forms

Hazlewood Legacy Academic Policy


A Texas veteran may qualify for an exemption from payment of tuition and most fees under the Hazlewood Act if he or she:


1.             Is a Texas resident;

2.             was a resident of Texas at the time he/she entered the US Armed Forces;

3.             have served at least 181 days of active military duty as indicated in “net active service” (the sum of 12(c) and 12(d) on the DD214);

4.             has received an honorable discharge or separation or a general discharge under honorable conditions;

5.             has Federal education benefits for term or semester enrolled that do not exceed the value of Hazlewood benefits (Pell and SEOG grants are not relevant as of Fall 2005);

6.             is not in default on a Federal education loan or student loan made or guaranteed by the State of Texas; and

7.             enrolls in classes for which the college receives tax support unless the governing board of the college rules to allow the exemption.


You will be required to present a letter from the VA regional office at Muskogee, Oklahoma (1-888-442-4551) stating that you are not currently eligible for VA benefits and complete an application before you can utilize these benefits.


If you meet the criteria listed above you should contact the Veterans Affairs Office and let them know you may be eligible.


This exemption cannot be used at a private or propriety institution. There are no funds in the Hazlewood Act. It is an exemption from payment of tuition and all fees except for the property deposit fees and the student service fees. The Hazlewood Act exemption can only be used at a Texas public institution.



Benefit Rates


Please click here to view Veterans Rates effective October 1, 2013.





Frequently Called Numbers


Education Benefits Inquiries                    1-888-442-4551 (888 GIBILL 1)


Automated Monthly Verification               1-877-823-2378


Direct Deposit and Address Changes       1-877-838-2778 




Lamar University salutes your service to our country!


Back to top


LU Symbol

A Member of The Texas State University System
All Rights Reserved.
Updated on 06/17/14